Click for Sun
Back to Board Index

Weather on a server
Derek Haselden
United Kingdom

6th Mar 2019
08:56:41
Hopefully the collective brains on here may have some answers...

Is is possible for a server to broadcast weather to all users connected to that server. That is, can global weather be picked up from the server, by server users, for the whole planet?
Derek H.
(Derek317)
Joe Dirt
United States

6th Mar 2019
12:02:08
Derek,

This is my understanding of FSX weather. The server can be updated with real time weather but the client/player joining gets a one time snap shot of the server weather when connecting. The server does not broadcast weather updates to clients. For the client/player to get real time weather updates they must use an add-on software.

If anyone has other information about the weather I would be eager to hear about it.

Hope this helps Derek.

Best regards,
Joe Dirt
Derek Haselden
United Kingdom

6th Mar 2019
13:46:47
Sir Dirt,
Okay, that was pretty much as I understood things. Or at least that\'s how they were... About 4 weeks ago I noticed that when starting up FSX on the server (and the separate PC) that if you select real world weather with updates it\'ll say that it was unable to connect. I know that the link to the Jeppesen updates went to a dead end ages ago but the connection error message is fairly recent.

Now what is happening is that if I continue to load FSOpen Open Clouds into the server is that server users will get UK weather on their machines but a static snapshot of the UK only. Elsewhere they get clear (default?) weather. Interrogating the server (!Q) still works worldwide.

For those that use a separate weather engine all is well and that generally, irrespective of which weather engine they use, all are more or less in agreement with what the server is getting.

In an ideal world I\'d like to be able to get the server to provide worldwide weather for all users of the server but alas it seems that the only way of doing that is to get server users to run their own weather engine of choice.
Regards,
Derek317
Dave Wave
United Kingdom

6th Mar 2019
22:57:21
Sorry Derick, its how fsx works, you can run open clouds or any other weather engine on your server, users will only get a snapshot of that when they join, and only in a small range from where your server is located (200 miles comes to mind but might be a bit more)

If you choose a custom global weather theme on your server than everyone will get that weather theme, no matter where they are in the world. (Unless they use a custom weather engine that can override it)

Derek Haselden
United Kingdom

7th Mar 2019
08:26:35
Hello Dave,
Thanks, this confirms my suspicions and clarifies my understanding of the matter weather-wise. I\'ve always used a weather engine on my PC so this issue has never really occurred to me. It is a shame that there is no \'one size fits all\' solution but some things on FSX were never easy. I shall be writing to \'users\' to explain things so that they may make their own arrangements.
Regards,
Derek H
(Derek317)

You need to Log on to post a reply.
Back to Board Index

Forum help

No politics, just flying
FSopen © 2009 - 2017
Page views: 1053784780