Click for Sun
Back to Board Index

Possible resurection of fsopen
Elliott Brown
United Kingdom

19th Dec 2015
19:28:23
Hi there as the traffic seems to move towards steam based servers and unfortunately making fsopen redundant we at msflights.net are looking at the FSD servers to enable all flight sim platforms to fly together. It is working well and i just wondered if there is any possibility of allowing fsopen to run on the fsd platform so we can use the flightstrips and pilot software and of course have a listing on the website here.Thanks in advance
Dave Wave
United Kingdom

20th Dec 2015
11:52:39
1. Don't agree with your logic on steam, will write a separate post on the future of fsx.

2. No idea what an fsd server is so can't answer.
Elliott Brown
United Kingdom

20th Dec 2015
20:19:55
Hi Dave its not a personal logic unfortunately is proven ive sat in servers with an active ATC in fsx boxed and the traffic is sparse at best whilst on steam there is an abundance of aircraft but no reliable control platform.
FSD is a proxy client that allows all users to join from any platform (fsx,fsx:se,xplane,p3d) its a proxy based server that requires minimal setup. I guess what im asking is are you able to or planing to allow the fsopenatc software to work on servers without the need to be running a fsopen server licence. Euroscope and VRC work but due to user friendliness are not an ideal choice for a community based group. I would hate to see FSopen software fall away due to the inevitable progression to steam.
Elliott Brown
United Kingdom

20th Dec 2015
20:20:44
Maybe as this progression happens you will explore options to keep it alive and FSD would allow that.
Dave Wave
United Kingdom

21st Dec 2015
11:35:03
Steam counts the server as a player, I don't on here so you need to add the servers to the number of players if you want to compare apples with apples.

On steam I count 22 players, on here it is exactly 100. (44 servers plus 56 players)

Steam is not the issue, it's fsx which is 10 years old and frankly it's beginning to show it's age hence my other post. Making fsopen work with FSD would take a lot of my time with very little benefit.
Tim Walters
United Kingdom

26th Dec 2015
10:09:22

and

Suggest you take a few more samples Dave!

Snapshots taken Sat 10:10am UTC.
Elliott Brown
United Kingdom

27th Dec 2015
01:28:56
How about releasing the source code if you are not willing to adapt the software. There are plenty of people that see the "little benefit" as a worth while benefit. Myself included.
Dave Wave
United Kingdom

27th Dec 2015
11:03:04
Point taken Tim but it's still short of numbers on fsopen. I'm sure one day it will be more but it's way short of the numbers that used to be on Gamespy. I'm afraid fsx is dying.

Elliot, I won't release the source code. To do so would actually require a lot of work that I'm sure you couldn't afford. If you think you have the skills to change the source code then you have the skills to write from scratch. Good luck.
Elliott Brown
United Kingdom

27th Dec 2015
13:38:02
Hi dave and thanks for the reply i do have the ability to write a new application i just thought id offer the chance for you to resurrect your software and thought as someone that has taken money from the fsx communities for a while you would have some loyalties towards those communities guess i was wrong. And if you are the creator of the software the source code should be available to you with minimal fuss. I wish you well with future endeavours and hope you realise i was trying to help. I now see that your loyalties towards flight simmers is very slim and you portray the image of exactly what you accuse dovetail off "being in it for the money" I will get to work on coding a compatible software and post details on the well known sim forums. While appreciate the effort provided in the past by fsopen i feel the moral compas has fallen of kilter slightly. And as for your comment regarding the work i couldnt afford i am not some little child trying my hand at a adult conversation i work in the game development industry and have released many freeware flight sim addons and software for many games so the work load is something i am very used to and financially i am fortunate enough to be in a position to take on these projects. Maybe in the future you will come to realise that money isnt the route to happiness. but should you want to resurrect the software and feel you need financial compensation then we can talk until such time i wish you well and hope that fsopen will succeed in the coming flight sim generation. All the best!
Dave Wave
United Kingdom

27th Dec 2015
13:52:50
I will not waste my time on something I do not see worthwhile.

When you have written your code you are welcome to advertise it on this forum.

Tim Walters
United Kingdom

27th Dec 2015
16:50:58
...n. I'm sure one day it will be more but it's way short of the numbers that used to be on Gamespy. I'm afraid fsx is dying....

Hehe - I'm afraid you have the advantage over me there sir. I never got into Multiplayer until 2012 so I've never seen the GameSpy sessions listing 'live' so to speak. Google doesn't provide many screenshots so I'll trust you on that one sir.

Regardz.

You need to Log on to post a reply.
Back to Board Index

Forum help

No politics, just flying
FSopen © 2009 - 2017
Page views: 1276269454