Click for Sun
Back to Board Index

Fsx as Host on a Dedicated Server - HELP
Vitor Nobre
Brazil

24th Oct 2013
06:38:23
How can i host a server on a dedicated machine fsx or a vps? I rented a machine but I can not open the fsx to start the server because the claims fsx incopatibilidade with the video card.

Is there any vps or dedicated with a video card that can open the fsx?
David Bartlam
United Kingdom

24th Oct 2013
08:36:23
I'm not too sure to be honest but all I can suggest: have you tried updating the card software? Have you followed all the steps on the fsopen server page? Update the service packs for FSX (available on the sessions list) or/and change the video card?

I may or may not be right, I've never had this issue so I'm not to sure how to fix it.
Dave Wave
United Kingdom

24th Oct 2013
08:42:38
FSX graphic requrements are:

DX9 Shader model 2.0 graphics card and 256MB of video memory

I'm not aware of a vps that would host this, there are some people using dedicated servers who can help.
Robert Dunn
United States
24th Oct 2013
13:19:43
Hello, Vitor. We at msFLIGHTS.net attempted to create a virtual machine on our FSX-FSOpen host server computer and failed due to this virtual graphics requirement of FSX that Mr. Wave speaks of.

I'm sorry I can offer no further help but...Dave Wave's customer support and the expert advice of other host server administrators who post here is so excellent that our help is not often necessary nor up to the high forum standards.

Respects, Bob...
ROBERT DUNN 2
RSDunn2@msflights.net
Curley Campbell
United States
24th Oct 2013
13:52:33
Let me see if I can help here. FSX is NOT licened to operate on an actual "server". To clairify that statement... It is only liscened for an actual "PC". Thus the error.

The solution is NOT to rent a server... but find a local provider that will let you supply them a normal PC (set up with FSX) and place it at their location. This called a "co-locate" service and most IPs will allow that option.

That is my setup and I use Teamviewer for remote access.
Vitor Nobre
Brazil

24th Oct 2013
16:59:05
Thank you guys. But it really does not open in FSX Dedicated I rented due to the same have a very low graphics memory. I can not open a server FSX in my house because I have a very low upload speed.

I do not know what else to do, I really wanted a server in FSX, I had even developed a website. :(
Curley Campbell
United States
24th Oct 2013
17:49:14
Vitor... I feel your pain. I spent 4 months working on that same issue.. as I also have poor internet service at my home.

I had made arrangements with an out of town IP for a dedicated server.... took a week to try and install FSX... getting the Graphics error. Another 2 weeks finally finding out that Microsoft licensing does NOT allow FSX to run on a server.

I called around my town.. found an IP that would let me bring in a PC. Grabbed the old XP I was hosting at home and put it in their rack. Again that's call "Co-Location" service. They charge me about the same as I was to pay for a server (which will not work).

The good news here.... I have 600 Mbit down / 400 Mbit up.

At the location.. it does not even have a screen hooked up... I do everything from my house using remote software, called TeamViewer8. This works very well.

Note: I did eventually change my PC (server) from XP to Win 7 w/I-3 processor... just to make sure it handled the data better.

So... don't give up... call around town and ask them about Co-Locate service. Of course, you will need to build a cheap PC and take it over to them. Graphics on that is not critical. All your PC will do in FSX... it to allow you to host a session (like you would from home) and basically just handles the traffic up/down for the session.. to keep everyone Coordinated.
Oliver Warren
United Kingdom
29th Dec 2013
21:46:10
For info on this, It IS possible to run FSX on a Virtualized Platform, with the correct hardware available and the correct Virtualization Platform.

I have just co-located a server that is currently running a FSX Session in a Windows 7 Virtual Machine. My plan is to Run 3 Side by side... possibly more ;)

Google VM Ware ESXi 5.5. Its free and has some great features for overcoming the Graphics Issues found on normal VPS's, that said the easiest way is to simply install a graphics card that ESXI recognises as being 3D Capable.. this functionality can then be passed to the VM and in turn FSX.
Curley Campbell
United States
30th Dec 2013
03:03:13
The actual issue is Microsofts licensing.. you cannot load FSX at all on a typical leased server (regardless of the graphic issue)... that is simply the error you receive.

Not to confuse a typical leased server with a VPS... that would be correct... as you are actually loading/running FSX via the win7 VM O/S. From my research... I believe using a bare bones PC (you really do not need a high end machine) being the server and on the network backbone is actually somewhat less expensive.
Ömer Enes
Turkey

30th Nov 2014
20:27:28
Hello,
We have an Aviation Center. And we want to training fly the fsopen server.

How should I proceed?
Do I need to buy VPS Server?(because we have minumum 10-15 pilot active )

I do not want to stay open my computer, Where can I get for that virtual machine?

Or something different? Can you help me?

Thanks,
www.facebook.com/ofxteamturkey
Tim Walters
United Kingdom

30th Nov 2014
21:07:37
Ask your provider for a server with a decent graphics card. If they cannot provide such a service, terminate the contract as they cannot provide a service required. Then move elsewhere.

We have ours professionally hosted in the UK on a WinServer2008 and connect using TeamViewer.

Note: FSX will NOT work inside a MS-RDP.

Tim Walters
FSXEU.COM
Curley Campbell
United States
3rd Dec 2014
01:16:02
I'll try one more time.... FSX will ONLY install on a PC.

If you are talking to any company that will host for you... make sure they have a "PC" (not a "server") available for you to provide FSX... to be installed on it... or let you put a PC on their site to host with. A TRUE server will always reject FSX.. because of Microsoft licensing code contain within FSX and will NOT let it install during the install process...PERIOD. The "graphics error" is just what is says when it rejects FSX.
Dave Wave
United Kingdom

3rd Dec 2014
08:07:27
Curley, a Xeon® Processor E3-1200 supports direct x 11 with on board graphics, bet it would run fsx.

Curley Campbell
United States
3rd Dec 2014
14:42:38
Let me clarify a little. Most hosting services companies use "Enterprise Servers." Also most of these have a method (or drive) to install software on the server.... Microsoft licensing prohibits FSX from being installed on them and will fail.

That is why I suggested asking your hosting service if they had a "PC" available to use... as FSX WILL install in that.

Just trying to help those trying to make sure folks talk to the hosting service to make sure they get the right stuff.
As I posted earlier.... I spent about 4 months and several hundred dollars on this ... to no avail.
Ömer Enes
Turkey

3rd Dec 2014
17:57:44
But this servers(link) everytime open. HOW?

http://i.hizliresim.com/J7LMdE.png

You need to Log on to post a reply.
Back to Board Index

Forum help

No politics, just flying
FSopen © 2009 - 2017
Page views: 911606577