Click for Sun
Back to Board Index

Building and hosting a server for FSX multiplayer using LAN
Dan Hagar
United States
10th Oct 2013
20:45:49
Hello all,
We would like to ask if anyone knows how to build and host a server for FSX multiplayer using the LAN option. Please advise on what we need to do to create our own direct connect IP just like the sessions offered on this site. We are experienced pilots ranging from 25-65 and would like to welcome everyone as soon as our session is available. We are looking for anyone that has the proper knowledge on how to complete this task and make this a reality. The individual that holds the proper knowledge and can help us complete this request will be compensated for their time. Thank you. We look forward to chatting with you.
Tony Koskinen
Germany

10th Oct 2013
21:19:21
hi Dan,
I am confused, are you asking if someone can host a server for you, or are you just searching for Assistance setting one up?
If so, I've got a great deal of experience hosting servers.
Curley Campbell
United States
10th Oct 2013
22:13:17
I would recommend contacting your IP... and get a "Static" IP. That way you IP address will always stay the same.

As far as hosting.. fairly simple... and of course you will want FSOpen Lite... to act as a very useful session BOT.

See this video for what is needed:

http://www.fsxcarrierops.com/apps/videos/videos/show/17703474-fsx-multiplayer-direct-connect

Hope this helps you out.
Dave Wave
United Kingdom

11th Oct 2013
10:47:47
With my last 2 isps I practically had a static address, only way I could change it was if I changed the mac address of my router.

I agree if it changes often you should ask for a static address but you might not need it.
Dan Hagar
United States
11th Oct 2013
17:41:19
Hi Tony, Curly & Dave,
My fellow pilots and I greatly appreciate all your time with this. Please forgive me if my explanation, or terminology is incorrect. We need assistance on building & setting up our own session. I have been told in order for this to work properly we need a web server. Is that correct? How do we do that and what is needed from me to do that? We can directly connect very easily to most of the sessions offered on this site. Example: ms.FLIGHTS.net, how do we create something like that? With Firewall off, we all tried to be a host from our individual computer's, but none of us could direct connect successfully to the host. What am I missing, or overlooking? We know how to direct connect to the sessions offered on this site, but do not know how to make one of our own to offer other pilots. Thank you again Tony, Curley & Dave.
David Bartlam
United Kingdom

11th Oct 2013
17:46:20
Dan,

Welcome to FSOpen. To run a server, all you need is the FSopen Server software and a pc. Ideally, the PC should be a standalone machine preferably to avoid any conflicting actions affecting other users.

If you have tried creating a server but people are unable to access it, this is a port issue. If you'd like help on setting up, please visit my teamspeak (FSXWorldwide). You can access the address through the FSOpen Session list or my website. I will be more than happy to help you. It may be necessary to access your computer (it's easier to do than to explain) so Teamviewer is an advantage. Drop by if you need help :)
Dan Hagar
United States
11th Oct 2013
18:12:15
Hi David,
You're the best. Thank you for all your time on wanting to help us with this. I am at work right now and by the time I get off it will be 12am BST. Will you be on Teamspeak tommorrow? I highly respect your time and feel free to let me know if there is a time that is convenient for you to enter your Teamspeak channel tomorrow. I look forward to chatting with you soon.
David Bartlam
United Kingdom

11th Oct 2013
18:27:17
Yea I'll jump on tomorrow morning and have a chat with you :)
Dave Wave
United Kingdom

11th Oct 2013
20:03:32
I truly respect all of you out there for supporting each other.

David Bartlam
United Kingdom

11th Oct 2013
20:18:04
:)
Dan Hagar
United States
11th Oct 2013
22:42:33
David, I look forward to chatting with you tomorrow. Tony, Curley, Dave & David, you all are the greatest. What a great community you all have developed here. My fellow pilots and I look forward to doing our part to support, donate & contribute. Thank you again for all your time, knowledge and patience with us newcomers to FSX multiplayer.
David Bartlam
United Kingdom

12th Oct 2013
17:03:54
Hi Dan,

Good to speak and help you this morning. I'm online now for a few hours so if you want to finish off setting up the ports, just drop into our Teamspeak again and we'll finish it all off :)
Tony Koskinen
Germany

13th Oct 2013
08:51:55
I just really don't like the way that there are so many sessions, especially here in the morning, the big ones seem to have maybe like 4 pilots and like 1 atc (if any) online... If only these sessions could get combined a bit, I myself mostly fly on RealFsx because of the friendly instructors and the fact that they follow FAA Rules literally as much as it can possibly go for a simaultor, but still they only focus on 1 location every week, so if there was a "combined" server, we could get a really nice community going. (Yeah there's Vatsim, but I really don't think I have to say much 'bout that).
Robert Dunn
United States
13th Oct 2013
08:53:13
Warmest regards, administrators.

Thank you Dave Wave for your comment of respect to us all. As I have elsewhere posted here in your forum, I share with you that respect and support for all the administrators and communities here that put up and maintain the various resources on which we fly.

Mr. Hagar, you found one of the best and one of the most helpful in Mr. Bartlem and his active community. I'll add my thanks to those others that I read here to Mr. Bartlem for helping Dan in such a generous manner. If there is anything we at msFLIGHTS.net can do to assist any of the other communities and groups, new or established, in their service efforts, please drop by our TeamSpeak or our website and contact one of us (particularly myself).

Dave Wave, thank you for visiting our website three weeks ago to correct my forum post containing a basic misconception of how you run FSOpen sessions list. I hope you received my private email addressing that subject.

Respects, Bob...
RSDunn2@msflights.net
Robert Dunn
United States
13th Oct 2013
09:06:37
My apologies, Mr. Bartlam, for twice misspelling your name. I know better. Several of us have lamented the lack of post edit abilities here and I was just going too fast and I did not properly proofread. Sorry, my friend.

Respects, Bob...
David Bartlam
United Kingdom

13th Oct 2013
09:32:02
Robert, as always, thank you for your kind words, please don't worry about the misspelling of the name, that's a common issue lol. With regards to your post and forum which I had a peek at, the FSOpen sessions list, I used to get all my members to click on the link to try and get us higher up that list. We get to second and that's it. Never ever have we had first place. Now, I've had 40 people in my Teamspeak before and each and every one of them clicked the link, yet no overtaking Europe. I've never seen them move. Which shows me that their is something extremely fishy going on their considering that their direct host link isn't very well advertised, and you have to dig quite deep into their site to find it. Since this experiment, I've given up with the link. If we are in second, we are in second, 10th, we're tenth. I've given up directing users using that link as it comes to no avail. I still direct the traffic to the programmes by Dave and encourage them to use it, but no longer do I waste my efforts on the host ID link. If members find it and click it, fantastic, if they don't, they don't. Although, the clicking sequence; it does work for everyone else under Europe, just not them. (This is my personal opinion). There is definitely something not right with that. A deal with Dave? An autoclicker? I haven't a clue. But with no links on their website, a Teamspeak which is not advertised to their users and a Facebook with no references also, it does make you wonder. Obviously there will be denial and defence with what I've just said, but we aren't stupid, it's too obvious.

On a more constructive note, I agree with you Tony. But you have to dig deeper and realise that each server gives something different to the FSOpen community. My server used to be aimed at training air traffic controllers, but unfortunately it is extremely time consuming and we'd find that we'd put in many many hours training an individual, only to never see that individual again on our session, yet when looking at other sessions, he'd be there controlling and on a management role with that server. So we scrapped that and now focus on pilot training, events and our small airline.

We are now lucky enough to have a real world controller, a real world ppl instructor whose just about to begin his aviation career with a very popular airline, but we also boast members currently learning to fly, aswell as a few guys studying aeronautical engineering who offer the "this is how it works" aspect to the community. Each of them are extremely well thought of and I'd like to say public ally how grateful I am to have them at FSXWorldwide.

There are three servers on here that I am in awe of, Eastern Hops, Real FSX and of course, MS flights. Looking at their continuous traffic numbers, their websites and what they offer, if my server was to ever close down, it would be these servers that I'd like to see my members move on to.

This post and my comments are of a personal opinion with no mean to offend nor criticise how things are done by Dave. At the end of the day, FSOpen is his train set so it's up to him how he runs it. Obviously we are all extremely grateful to him for the service he provides, but as we are all paying to use his software that allows us such freedom of speech

You need to Log on to post a reply.
Back to Board Index

Forum help

No politics, just flying
FSopen © 2009 - 2017
Page views: 572666928